Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A service providing information and support to computer users, especially within a company.
- ‘Users don't sit idle because of lost or forgotten identifiers, and the help desk doesn't spend time retrieving or replacing such tokens.’
- ‘I work at a midwestern university's network help desk for students, faculty, and staff.’
- ‘Sixteen percent of the respondents had put on extra services due to the use of open source software, including extra help desk support and extra staff.’
- ‘Other users lose productivity when they call the help desk to have their passwords reset.’
- ‘Several software options are on the market, but our help desk chose IBM's ViaVoice for Windows.’
- ‘As I type this, I'm sitting on the tail of a 10 minute queue to the help desk again.’
- ‘The documentation or knowledge base of the help desk continues to grow, as does the vendor's ability to handle more issues.’
- ‘He recruits workers who have good people skills for the help desk.’
- ‘The support help desk can be a complicated, stressful and challenging environment.’
- ‘The sad part is that they had to call the help desk in order to place a service call!’
- ‘A help desk agent may also want to communicate with an end user through a chat session.’
- ‘The help desk and IT support staff will act as ambassadors for your intranet initiative, so the sooner you garner their support the better.’
- ‘Don't cheat your users by giving them dramatically simplified or weakened versions of the software being used by your help desk personnel.’
- ‘Evaluate all costs involved in running your own help desk.’
- ‘His assistant also handles hardware leasing and routes calls to the help desk.’
- ‘Employees often have so many passwords that they invariably forget them and have to call the help desk to either retrieve or reset them.’
- ‘Keeping track of every entry in an accurate, organized and nonrepetitive manner is the key to a good help desk.’
- ‘A former New York computer help desk technician yesterday pleaded guilty to playing a key part in what prosecutors reckon is the largest identity theft case to date.’
- ‘One of the most important factors in outsourcing your help desk service is the relationship, or partnership, you establish with the vendor.’
- ‘We had a small programming shop and I was in the help desk when this fax came in.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.