One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action or skill of steering a ship or boat.‘the principles that govern the helmsmanship of marine vessels’figurative ‘his helmsmanship of the economic recovery’
steersmanship, seamanship, map-reading, chart-reading, wayfindingView synonyms
- ‘He has also taught them the correct procedures for towing other vessels, anchorages, helmsmanship and lookouts.’
- ‘The Society remained active for 54 years, throughout all this time under the helmsmanship of Maurice Earley.’
- ‘Despite making the news for matters other than his helmsmanship of the tribunal, he may yet see the job through over the next 15 years.’
- ‘Beginners start with a Competent Crew course, which covers subjects such as sail handling, mooring, rope work, safety and helmsmanship.’
- ‘The show has transfixed practically every TV-watcher since it was first broadcast thanks to Tarrant's skilful helmsmanship.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.