One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action or skill of steering a ship or boat.‘the principles that govern the helmsmanship of marine vessels’figurative ‘his helmsmanship of the economic recovery’
steersmanship, seamanship, map-reading, chart-reading, wayfindingView synonyms
- ‘Beginners start with a Competent Crew course, which covers subjects such as sail handling, mooring, rope work, safety and helmsmanship.’
- ‘He has also taught them the correct procedures for towing other vessels, anchorages, helmsmanship and lookouts.’
- ‘The show has transfixed practically every TV-watcher since it was first broadcast thanks to Tarrant's skilful helmsmanship.’
- ‘The Society remained active for 54 years, throughout all this time under the helmsmanship of Maurice Earley.’
- ‘Despite making the news for matters other than his helmsmanship of the tribunal, he may yet see the job through over the next 15 years.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.