Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The aquatic larva of a dobsonfly, often used as fishing bait.
- ‘And both species are more than willing to hit small lures as well as natural baits such as nightcrawlers, meal worms and hellgrammites.’
- ‘Larvae of alderflies differ from hellgrammites in that they lack the two hooks at the end of the abdomen.’
- ‘When preparing for pupation, the hellgrammite emerges from the water and quickly moves across the earth's surface.’
- ‘Live bait, such as nightcrawlers or hellgrammites, can increase the odds of catching bass.’
- ‘Big trout like a big mouthful, and hellgrammites are bigger than your average mayfly or stonefly nymph.’
Mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.