One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An aquatic giant salamander with greyish skin and a flattened head, native to North America.
Cryptobranchus alleganiensis, family Cryptobranchidae
- ‘Living relatives include the Asian giant salamander, which can grow as big as a small human adult, and the smaller hellbender of North America.’
- ‘Other common predators include minks, otters, raccoons, turtles, hellbenders, fish, some species of birds, and humans.’
- ‘The hellbender can reach 750 mm.’
- ‘It closely resembles the North American hellbender, a salamander with large, flat head that can grow more than 2 feet long.’
- ‘The closest relative of the Japanese and Chinese giant salamanders is the hellbender of the eastern US.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.