One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An airport or landing place for helicopters.
- ‘I therefore sought interviews with off-shore workers in the places where they gather in transit to and from the heliport - in hotel bars, public bars, train stations, and on trains.’
- ‘He also has a heliport, all the latest mod-cons, outdoor hot-tubs and stables for the 75 horses down the road.’
- ‘The airport, which lost its last major airline service last year, wants to build a heliport and facilities for twin-engine aircraft.’
- ‘Federal safety officials say they have no plans to close the heliports.’
- ‘The rotors started to spin up and they hurriedly jumped to the roof a few feet below, ducking to avoid the backwash from the spinning propellers as the copter lifted off the heliport and headed into the night skyline.’
- ‘We fought light rain on the second day, but by nightfall we had reached the coast and found the heliport.’
- ‘The £90m development, which will include a new heliport facility providing links to major airports, could create more than 2,000 jobs.’
- ‘You guys couldn't get to Peach's castle in the first place and you'd probably never figure out how to get to the heliport on the roof.’
- ‘It lost its last major airline service last year and wants to build a heliport and facilities for twin-engine aircraft.’
- ‘From the heliport, we took a bus ride along the canyon's rim.’
- ‘Before the June 5 opening of the new facility, there were 265 authorized private helipads in the state of Florida and just two public-use heliports, only one of which was in a downtown area.’
- ‘The computers and disks also reportedly contain photos of heliports, and helicopter cockpits, controls and cockpit door locking mechanisms.’
- ‘Steve isn't making it as an actor, as they were led to believe, but works as a cleaner at the studios and lives in a bus with a flat tyre on a disused heliport outside the city.’
- ‘The fluctuations didn't seem to get worse, but, when we descended into the heliport, I saw the fluctuations corresponded to power inputs.’
- ‘This was the hydrant for the heliport, with underground tanks, in case of helicopter crashes.’
- ‘At press time, only charter helicopter operations had access to the Manhattan heliports.’
- ‘At headquarters in Freetown, palm fronds weighted down by rain blocked an Aironet connection to the heliport.’
- ‘The Palace was completed in 1992, in 450 square kilometers, encompassing a dock for visitors and their yachts, a heliport, and an artificial lake.’
- ‘A law-enforcement officer is required to be on board at all times, and the operator must advise the heliport in advance on expected arrival and departure times.’
- ‘But what the surveillance plans had in them was some scouting or reconnaissance of heliports and helipads in New York.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.