One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A landing and take-off area for helicopters.
- ‘North Yorkshire's air ambulance was moved from its usual base at Leeds Bradford Airport to the helipad at Scarborough District hospital for the weekend because of the anticipated number of visitors to the coast.’
- ‘Depending on the weather, the winner will either fly from Humberside Airport aboard the ship's own Lynx helicopter and land on the deck helipad, or board the vessel from the Humber pilot's boat as it greets the warship.’
- ‘Yes, well then, there's a helicopter waiting on the helipad to take you to Hawaii.’
- ‘The helipad was on an elevated platform, but as the helicopter came down it created a wind that caused an outward blow of the dusty ground around the platform.’
- ‘Before the June 5 opening of the new facility, there were 265 authorized private helipads in the state of Florida and just two public-use heliports, only one of which was in a downtown area.’
- ‘It also has a helicopter and a helipad to ensure immediate mobility of the staff.’
- ‘These privileged persons arrive with families and hangers-on in helicopters, which land them at a helipad near the Park entrance, all at the taxpayer's expense.’
- ‘A helicopter conveying three men touched down on a helipad.’
- ‘Cape Clear Island, one of the last large islands in Ireland without a helipad is to have a helicopter pad to cater for both day and night time landings.’
- ‘The Hi-tech City project has proposals for an independent helipad with a super highway connecting with the airport and Electronic City.’
- ‘There will be a helicopter landing area or a helipad to allow continued helicopter operations during and after the airstrip project.’
- ‘In one corner was a helipad, on which a black helicopter sat.’
- ‘Presently, the helipad is designed to handle the government-owned twin-engine equipped helicopters.’
- ‘the guard at the helipad tried to stop Snake from reaching the helicopter.’
- ‘The helipad came into view and the helicopter quickly landed.’
- ‘Since a helipad is already being readied, landing is not a problem.’
- ‘The helicopter landed at the same helipad as it had first taken off from with Will and John.’
- ‘The helicopter can fly from critically situated landing spots in adverse climates and from roof helipads in densely populated areas.’
- ‘My husband woke me when it was time for us to board our helicopter and it was back to the helipad for us with a huge bunch of excellent memories of the day.’
- ‘But what the surveillance plans had in them was some scouting or reconnaissance of heliports and helipads in New York.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.