One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A group of military or police helicopters that keep watch over an area by regularly flying over it.‘there is a helicopter patrol and all police vehicles are on the alert’
- ‘More than 100 law enforcement officers combed the landfill with specially trained canine teams, aided by helicopter patrols.’
- ‘Locals say they are being tormented by incessant helicopter patrols.’
- ‘Police conducted helicopter patrols and sweeps of scrubland by foot.’
- ‘A team of police officers, emergency service workers, and about 60 firefighters responded, including a helicopter patrol.’
- ‘For the first time in the last 24 hours, we've seen some helicopter patrols in the city.’
- ‘The initiatives would include lockdowns, national helicopter patrols 15–20 minutes after an incident, and joint police/army patrols.’
- ‘Neighbourhoods are woken at night by police helicopter patrols.’
- ‘Helicopter patrols have been sent out in a stepping up of the five-week investigation.’
- ‘Police have said the helicopter patrols have been beneficial, particularly when police are searching for fleeing or armed suspects.’
- ‘In response to the soaring number of crimes, helicopter patrols have been launched above crime hotspots.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.