One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Skiing in which the skier is taken up the mountain by helicopter.
- ‘From bungee jumping to sky diving, white water rafting to rock climbing, heli-skiing to caving, you can explore New Zealand from the top of mountain peaks, the doldrums of the underworld, and everywhere in between.’
- ‘And Bell will be attempting to embarrass himself in as many ways as is humanly possible by trying out heli-skiing and ski-jumping.’
- ‘Local knowledge of the mountain range and weather patterns is essential for heli-skiing, especially on the steep faces of the northern Rockies.’
- ‘The organisers are Canadian Mountain Holidays, based in Banff, Alberta, whose founders built the lodge in the 1960s as a base for heli-skiing.’
- ‘He's also enjoyed heli-skiing in Russia, calling that ‘not a holiday, but an expedition’.’
- ‘During this year's ski season, Ace Helicopters took more than 2,000 people heli-skiing in Nagano Prefecture.’
- ‘Fly-fishing is popular here in summer, but in winter cross-country skiing and even heli-skiing can be organised at the ranch.’
- ‘He directed the officials to ensure that all safety measures were followed while undertaking adventure tourism and sports like paragliding, heli-skiing, river rafting and mountaineering.’
- ‘The company offers a variety of programs throughout the year, including summer hill-hiking, overnight getaways, day trips to the lodge for lunch, and heli-skiing.’
- ‘By late afternoon, we'd gotten in four runs of five thousand vertical feet each, and we were entering heli-skiing's sneaky bonus period, in which clients can keep skiing at an added cost of about $45 per run, but only if everyone is willing.’
- ‘It isn't atypical in the heli-skiing industry to have a dozen or more skiers at the bottom of a run when the next group begins down.’
- ‘Climbing guide Dave Hann wrote about heli-skiing in February.’
- ‘Whistler-Blackcomb is also an outstanding place to try out heli-skiing.’
- ‘After three years of negotiations, the country is opening its section of the Himalayas to a foreign-owned heli-skiing operation - the first permanent commercial heli service in the world's greatest range.’
- ‘In skiing terms the Irish are drawn to practically every ski resort in the world, stretching from Aspen in Colorado to heli-skiing in the former Soviet republic of Kyrgyzstan and everywhere in between.’
- ‘The ultimate thrill is heli-skiing in remote ranges such as Canada's Rockies, but for those with less stamina there are cheaper ways to make fresh tracks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.