One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who believes that the pursuit of pleasure is the most important thing in life; a pleasure-seeker.‘she was living the life of a committed hedonist’
sybarite, sensualist, voluptuary, pleasure seeker, pleasure loverView synonyms
- ‘A libertine is a hedonist, a devotee of personal pleasure, whereas a libertarian is one who defends the libertine and his lifestyle against the heavy hand of government.’
- ‘Yet, like hedonists around the world, motorists here love swanky cars and bikes.’
- ‘On this Easter Saturday I really wanted to write something that might touch on some spiritual questions, such as why recent surveys tell us that we have become a nation of happy hedonists.’
- ‘We are a people who in equal parts are adventurers, skilled craftspeople, hedonists, sensualists, survivalists, and environmentalists.’
- ‘With the political forecast comparatively sunny recently, things are visibly on the up - the grand old city centre cleaned out and dressed up to receive the growing surge of investors, visitors and weekending hedonists.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.