One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who believes that the pursuit of pleasure is the most important thing in life; a pleasure-seeker.‘she was living the life of a committed hedonist’
sybarite, sensualist, voluptuary, pleasure seeker, pleasure loverView synonyms
- ‘Yet, like hedonists around the world, motorists here love swanky cars and bikes.’
- ‘A libertine is a hedonist, a devotee of personal pleasure, whereas a libertarian is one who defends the libertine and his lifestyle against the heavy hand of government.’
- ‘With the political forecast comparatively sunny recently, things are visibly on the up - the grand old city centre cleaned out and dressed up to receive the growing surge of investors, visitors and weekending hedonists.’
- ‘We are a people who in equal parts are adventurers, skilled craftspeople, hedonists, sensualists, survivalists, and environmentalists.’
- ‘On this Easter Saturday I really wanted to write something that might touch on some spiritual questions, such as why recent surveys tell us that we have become a nation of happy hedonists.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.