One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rough or mixed hedge of wild shrubs and occasional trees, typically bordering a road or field.
row of bushes, fenceView synonyms
- ‘It is an important arable weed, commonly found in hedgerows, and mature plants often use upright species for support.’
- ‘The 90 acres of grassland, bordered by hawthorn hedgerows, is home to hundreds of plants, birds and insects.’
- ‘Permanent pastures have shrunk, wild flowers have been killed by pesticides and hedgerows have disappeared.’
- ‘Most of the trees survive mainly in hedgerows and near rivers and ponds.’
- ‘It will gobble up your fields and hedgerows, your trees and wildlife habitats.’
- ‘The entire site is screened by good-sized trees and hedgerows, giving shelter.’
- ‘However, it did manage to spread to a neighbouring hedgerow and stubble field.’
- ‘The private patio at the side of the house is a suntrap, surrounded by shrubs and hedgerows.’
- ‘Does anyone plan to plant trees as a hedgerow to block the wind?’
- ‘The camouflage is even better if we ride close to hedgerows and trees.’
- ‘Most of the trees, hawthorn hedgerows and open meadowland will cease to exist.’
- ‘Here the fields are relatively small and are divided by hedgerows made up of a dozen or more native plant species.’
- ‘Wherever possible, build the stacks of bales on a sandy base well away from hedgerows and trees.’
- ‘The special job on this belly-busting operation is to thin seedlings and new shrubs in the hedgerows.’
- ‘Separating the large fields are hedgerows of native and nonnative woody plants.’
- ‘These items can become stuck on trees or in hedgerows and cause a blight on the landscape.’
- ‘Tall trees within hedgerows are used by birds as song posts, nest sites and vantage points.’
- ‘The morning is spent gathering food which grows wild in fields, hedgerows and on the seashore.’
- ‘Work would also be carried out to strengthen existing hedgerows by additional tree planting, and further footpaths would be built.’
- ‘A mix of several types of shrubs in a hedgerow is more effective than using one type of plant for the entire hedge.’
Old English: from hedge + obsolete rew ‘hedgerow’, assimilated to row.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.