One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An apparatus for copying documents by the use of a gelatin plate that receives an impression of the master copy.
- ‘Gelatin is also used for making court-plaster, hectographs, for coating pills, and for estimating the amount of tannin contained in a drug or preparation.’
- ‘To print on the hectograph, make a ‘master’ by drawing or writing on paper with a hectograph pencil (may be purchased at an office supply store for about fifteen cents).’
- ‘It spans a period of 50 years and covers a total of approximately 850 catalogue numbers divided between the three traditional graphic techniques of etching, lithography and woodcut as well as hundreds of what are known as hectographs.’
- ‘Sometimes, to get around the single use problem, hectograph ink would be applied to a very light canvas or heavier paper so it could be re-inked and used over and over.’
- ‘If you need a transfer for these types of designs, you can use a hectograph pencil to trace the designs onto tracing paper.’
- ‘We actually made our own hectograph ink, with hectograph powder and sugar, and water.’
- ‘This hectograph pencil is excellent for making clean paper stencils on tracing paper.’
- ‘Carbon copies, hectographs, and mimeographs, the methods used in the mid-twentieth century, required special care and materials.’
- ‘There were a few motorized hectographs, but I never saw one.’
- ‘It would have to have been done using hectographs, mimeographs, or a print shop.’
- ‘Those working underground had acquired a hectograph upon which they printed up to 250 copies of the group's leaflets.’
- ‘If ditto machines were primitive, hectographs were downright prehistoric.’
- ‘It is also known to print hectograph masters directly, such as by crash imprinting, using a hectograph printing ink comprising a hot-melt wax composition containing undissolved dyestuff.’
- ‘You then place this on the hectograph, and rub it to transfer the image to the gelatin.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.