One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Water in which the hydrogen in the molecules is partly or wholly replaced by the isotope deuterium, used especially as a moderator in nuclear reactors.
- ‘Indeed, we talk of heavy water as water, and there seems no non-stipulative reason not to do so.’
- ‘Heavy-water nuclear facilities react natural, un-enriched uranium oxide as fuel, hence they need heavy water as a more efficient moderator.’
- ‘The heavily guarded factory produced heavy water, one of the materials used to control atomic fission.’
- ‘We even found that feeding cells heavy water gave them a 27-minute cycle of growth and rest, so that old piece of information served to confirm our theory.’
- ‘Because heavy water is very efficient as a coolant and moderator in nuclear power plants, greater quantities were wanted than occur naturally.’
- ‘Dean found the effect with either tap water or distilled water and also in a single test with heavy water, and he noted that it had first been observed in a saline solution.’
- ‘In another experiment, bean plants grown from seed given increasing fractions of heavy water showed stunted growth compared with control plants given normal water.’
- ‘Both natural and heavy water were used as solvents.’
- ‘It will be 10 years in the making and, in its 20-year operating life, researchers will experiment with a kind of slow hydrogen bomb in the hope of extracting vast amounts of clean energy from tiny amounts of heavy water.’
- ‘Deuterium, a heavy and stable isotope of hydrogen, binds to oxygen to form deuterium oxide, commonly known as heavy water.’
- ‘In heavy water the hydrogen bonds are slightly stronger, and this changes the properties of the liquid sufficiently to disrupt the lubricating effect water has on biochemical processes.’
- ‘Why do you need heavy water to develop a commercial nuclear reactor?’
- ‘The most common moderators are substances of low atomic weight such as heavy water (deuterium oxide) or graphite.’
- ‘Because of their heavier weight, heavy water molecules evaporate less readily than light water molecules.’
- ‘Included are uranium in raw, depleted and enriched forms, heavy water, and equipment for the production of heavy water.’
- ‘He expects that heavy water restrictions are in the pipeline if the desalination plant is not developed.’
- ‘Employees were found ‘not following proper procedures’ when dealing with the radioactive heavy water moderator.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.