One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Appearing tired or sleepy.‘an elderly man with a deep-lined, heavy-eyed face’
sleepy, half asleep, dozy, dozing, heavy, yawning, nodding, groggy, somnolent, ready for bed, hardly able to keep one's eyes openView synonyms
- ‘A heavy-eyed young girl regards us with a momentary speculation, and we get a whiff of foul language from two boys on the kerb.’
- ‘Your brow furrows as you turn over but you're too heavy-eyed to notice.’
- ‘She can't shake her queasiness but trudges along, heavy-eyed.’
- ‘She looked heavy-eyed when she got up the next morning, and Lord Elham was quick to pick up the traces of her disquiet.’
- ‘She was still thinking of it when he came down to breakfast, heavy-eyed and tremulous.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.