Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Full of or loaded with heavy items.‘the lorry was heavily laden with large boxes and crates’‘heavily laden trolleys’
- ‘The heavily loaded truck was too much for the steep, water-soaked road.’
- ‘Heavily laden hand trucks, she said, can damage the escalator plates.’
- ‘The mountainous waves that followed almost swamped the heavily-laden lifeboats.’
- ‘The rich man said, "Sir, I have a bull who can pull one-hundred heavily loaded bullock carts."’
- ‘With a region or village perimeter heavily laden with landmines, access to the area by much-needed medical teams or aid workers is affected.’
- ‘It only took her a few moments to come back with two heavily loaded plates.’
- ‘The heavily laden horses could not cope with the bogs.’
- ‘Except on a heavily loaded system, most queues are empty.’
- ‘Gage later reportedly traveled to Chile, where he drove a heavily laden stagecoach.’
- ‘The wheels of the heavily laden wagons ground deep ruts into the soil.’
- ‘By now the first heavily laden trolleys begin making for the tills.’
- ‘The model was able to reproduce fruit growth for heavily-loaded shoots.’
- ‘Mrs March frowned down at the heavily laden table, she was frowning in particularly at a plate of biscuits, which spoiled the entire look of the table.’
- ‘Giant motors drove the haulage cable pulleys, the thick steel pulled heavily loaded hoppers up to the platform.’
- ‘Logan's longest runway, 33, is often used for large, heavily laden jets.’
- ‘I watch men or women pushing carts heavily laden with their wares in searing temperatures, stifling humidity or drenching rain.’
- ‘From potential growth data, the model made it possible to predict growth for heavily-loaded shoots, taking environmental conditions into account.’
- ‘At first they looted, burned and pillaged and then sailed off back to Denmark or Norway, heavily laden with gold and slaves.’
- ‘A full-grown, heavily loaded tomato plant in a container needs a water-soluble fertilization treatment daily.’
- ‘Outside the front door, a bulldozer is clearing up the mess caused when a heavily laden lorry crashed into the wall and gatepost.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.