Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A device for warming the air or water.‘a wall-mounted electric heater’‘a gas water heater’
warmer, radiator, convector, fire, brazierView synonyms
- ‘For £1 a time people stand in their swimming costumes under the warm air heaters and wait.’
- ‘Decades-old electric heaters struggled to warm the concrete.’
- ‘The school can only allow a limited number of students into the building at one time because only a few classrooms can be warmed by electric heaters.’
- ‘I think that's a really important message that we need to get across to people, because whenever you say energy conservation, they immediately think turning off their heaters and not being warm and stuff.’
- ‘Said Tim: ‘We keep Trelow warm with a furry hot water bottle and a heater, and for comfort he clings to a toy cow!’’
- ‘Last night, while engineers from gas pipeline company Transco battled to repair the burst main and restore supplies, some residents were left to huddle round electric heaters to keep warm.’
- ‘The appliance essentially consists of a water tank and a heater equipped with a thermostat control.’
- ‘And it had one rare commodity, a giant electric portable heater that warmed the entire unit.’
- ‘In fact, modern hire cruisers are equipped to a very high standard, so you can expect a full gas cooker, refrigerator and hot and cold running water - even heaters to take the early morning chill out of your cabin.’
- ‘Other people have been going out and buying electric heaters to keep warm and using kettles to have a hot bath.’
- ‘‘We don't have a heater or warm water,’ she told me, looking down.’
- ‘It hasn't been repaired yet and we are having to hire small heaters to keep it warm.’
- ‘The warm air from the heater and the steaming cups of caffeine didn't help me that much either.’
- ‘The boat even has a coal-effect heater, which warms two radiators.’
- ‘I installed wall heaters, an electric water heater, dryer and range, but asked for help with a mechanical heat pump.’
- ‘And a tankless hot-water heater provides warm water on demand, rather than consuming energy 24 hours a day.’
- ‘We will also be able to purchase five oil heaters to warm up the building and some food items to stock up our new freezer’
- ‘Since then they have had just a couple of electric heaters to warm the house and no hot water.’
- ‘He made swift movements to turn on a Shard heater to warm the water in his tub.’
- ‘Little electric heaters are used to warm rooms and they now have three hot showers.’
- 1.1Electronics A conductor used for indirect heating of the cathode of a thermionic valve.
2A fastball.‘he drove the next pitch, another heater, over the left-field fence’
- ‘On a first pitch fastball, Andy LaRoche smacked a 93 mph heater right back up the middle, nearly hitting Nieve in the process.’
- ‘He came back from a shot to the right hip and fired two heaters clocked at 94-96 mph to strike out Preston Wilson.’
- ‘Jarrod throws the standard pitches but no longer relies on his heater the way he once did.’
- ‘He then popped up a well-placed heater on the 3-2 pitch, ending the threat.’
- ‘He had an amazing fastball; his heater was something I had never seen, and don't get me started on his curve.’
- ‘Spahn was a port-sider who relied on his heater until a knee injury forced him to develop a screwball, which became his out pitch over the latter half of his career.’
3North American informal, dated A gun.‘we lined up with our right hands on our heaters in our side pockets’
- ‘I tell Louie to open up his glove compartment and I get the heater out of it and put it in my pocket.’
- ‘Rusty sometimes carried a heater, but it rarely had any bullets in it.’
- ‘When we reached Gus's hangout we lined up, ready for hell, with our right hands on our heaters in our side pockets.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.