One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device that transfers heat from a colder area to a hotter area by using mechanical energy, as in a refrigerator.
- ‘I bought a wall-mounted heat pump for $5 at a garage sale, and we moved in just after Thanksgiving.’
- ‘Aided by a heat pump which raises it to a usable temperature, this device accounts for about half of the hot water energy.’
- ‘A heat pump converts this low grade energy to hot water which is then used for heating.’
- ‘A heat pump is simply an air conditioner with the ability to reverse the flow of refrigerant, and gas furnaces are simply more efficient than air conditioners.’
- ‘They can range from the simple sew-it-yourself, install-it-yourself window quilt systems up through complex, passive, solar gain controls intended to turn your house into an efficient heat pump.’
- ‘Typically, water is cycled through an underground pipe, and the heat in the surrounding soil warms or cools the heat pump's refrigerant.’
- ‘Schedule an annual tune-up for your heat pump, furnace or boiler.’
- ‘Heating and cooling are supplied by a combined heat pump and chilling device.’
- ‘Winter heat will be provided by a water-source heat pump and a generator driven by a restored water wheel, with an oil-fired Rayburn as back-up.’
- ‘Dig a trench and run the tubing, put in a heat pump and eliminate electrical heating demand one house at a time.’
- ‘If you have a heat pump or a heating system that also has central air conditioning, the outside of the duct insulation needs to be wrapped to prevent condensation.’
- ‘The electric charges may activate a thermoelectric heat pump, as the hornet is flying outside, to maintain a temperature differential between the hornet and its surroundings.’
- ‘Through this process, ocean circulation acts like a heat pump and determines our climate to a great extent.’
- ‘Do not manually set back a heat pump's thermostat at night.’
- ‘If a heat pump is added to an electric furnace, the heat pump coil can usually be placed on the cold side of the furnace for greatest efficiency.’
- ‘Each apartment is equipped with a compact ventilation unit with heat recovery, as well as a small heat pump for air heating and a boiler for hot water.’
- ‘I installed wall heaters, an electric water heater, dryer and range, but asked for help with a mechanical heat pump.’
- ‘You need electricity to run the heat pump, but it's very energy efficient.’
- ‘The building also uses a ground-source heat pump connected to three 1,500-foot wells, which meets all the building's heating and cooling needs.’
- ‘Not all thermostats work with all types of furnaces and heaters; a forced-air thermostat, for example, won't necessarily work with a heat pump.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.