Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A form of indigestion felt as a burning sensation in the chest, caused by acid regurgitation into the oesophagus.→ pyrosis
indigestion, dyspepsia, acidity, hyperaciditypyrosisView synonyms
- ‘Trials that included only patients with heartburn and acid reflux were excluded’
- ‘But sometimes pain in the chest may be mistaken for heartburn when it is really a sign of heart disease.’
- ‘I thought this can't be heartburn or indigestion or something, as those are the first things you think of obviously.’
- ‘We were astonished by the severity of heartburn and other symptoms in our patients.’
- ‘Symptoms of heartburn are often mistaken for signs of a heart attack or heart disease.’
- ‘This may have no apparent cause at all, or may be caused by a common complaint such as heartburn or acid reflux.’
- ‘Mild symptoms may also be mistaken for indigestion or heartburn.’
- ‘In people with simple heartburn, heartburn happens occasionally after particularly big or spicy or fatty meal.’
- ‘Pregnant women can alleviate heartburn by keeping their weight increase within the recommended limits and eating sensibly.’
- ‘Headache, heartburn and flushing are possible side effects of all three drugs.’
- ‘This bacterium is responsible for many cases of ulcers, chronic heartburn and gastritis.’
- ‘It is very unlikely that the soap remedy will cause harm, such as heartburn.’
- ‘Some people get mild heartburn and other symptoms of GORD most days, but for most people, acid reflux is rare.’
- ‘These cause heartburn or regurgitation, cramping pain behind the chest and pressure.’
- ‘Many patients mean heartburn or acid regurgitation, the classic symptoms of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease.’
- ‘Associated symptoms may include heartburn, upper abdominal bloating, or belching.’
- ‘However, it may cause a feeling of warmth or burning in the chest, often called heartburn.’
- ‘If this muscle weakens or relaxes at the wrong time, stomach acid backs up causing heartburn.’
- ‘I want to warn people about using baking soda to treat heartburn and indigestion.’
- ‘Antacids are used to relieve the symptoms of acid reflux, caused by heartburn or indigestion.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.