One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The edible bud of a palm tree.
- ‘Moving along, you'll find a cornucopia of fresh salads (tuna, pasta, hearts of palm and mixed greens with vinaigrette, to name a few) and fine cold cuts including thinly sliced ham, smoked turkey and prosciutto.’
- ‘The city's burgeoning Asian population makes it possible for him to get spices and hearts of palm from Vietnam, and fresh herbs from Thailand and Malaysia.’
- ‘For the braised hearts of palm: In a saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a simmer.’
- ‘Sear the hearts of palm until golden brown, about two minutes.’
- ‘To Audrey, she said, ‘We've got bell peppers in the fridge with carrots and olives and goodness knows what else, and there's some cans of baby corn and hearts of palm in the pantry.’’
- ‘L' Insalata Ricca has dozens of creative salads, with ingredients like spinach, salmon, hearts of palm, lobster and bufala mozzarella.’
- ‘Octopus and calamari become lush and pliant when grilled and tossed with tender hearts of palm and chickpeas.’
- ‘To serve, spoon some cool miso broth, carrots, and hearts of palm into a soup bowl.’
- ‘Usually it was a bottle of champagne or fine wine, but even a can of hearts of palm would suffice.’
- ‘Actually, only parts of it weren't, since it's got a long list of ingredients: lettuce, quail eggs, hearts of palm, xuxu, mango slices, green onions, shrimp, Brazil nuts and cashews.’
- ‘For something green, you'll have to settle for a rudimentary salad of buttery sliced avocado and canned hearts of palm posed on iceberg lettuce (not the advertised romaine) and pale winter-tomato wedges.’
- ‘Everything dances: the garlic, the tomato, the hearts of palm and the soy-ginger potion that gives it all an elusive Asian current.’
- ‘Kohala Coast chefs also love to feature Big Island ingredients such as hearts of palm, taro, Waimea corn and strawberries, Kawamata tomatoes, Parker Ranch beff, and Kahua lamb.’
- ‘You might want a sparkling Bibb lettuce salad, too, mined with hearts of palm and dressed in mustardy vinaigrette.’
- ‘Hauling out rice, corn, bananas, and heart of palm to market costs more than a farmer can sell them for.’
- ‘The traditional salad dressing is made of oil and vinegar, but mayonnaise is a favorite dressing for heart of palm and fresh pea salad.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.