Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in palmistry) the upper of the two horizontal lines that cross the palm of the hand, linked to a person's physical health and ability to form emotional relationships.
- ‘They are identified by palmists as head lines, heart lines, life lines, and fate or destiny lines, and are alleged to be useful in predicting a person's future.’
- ‘That's why your heart line cuts your lifeline.’
- ‘The heart line curving downwards from the base of the fingers ran over to the percussion without any branches or crosses to weaken its course.’
- ‘The upper line that runs across the base of the fingers is the heart line which reveals tragedies in a person's lifetime if broken.’
- ‘At the point where it's connected by another line to my heart line (making a triangle in my palm).’
- ‘‘La Croix Mystique’ is when an X marks the spot under your heart line, It shows that you have special intuition and psychic abilities.’
- ‘These lines are given names like the life line, the head line, the heart line, the Saturne line.’
- ‘The heart line, which runs across the palm from underneath the little finger to the index finger, reflects a person's emotionality; their ability to express feelings and share them with others.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.