One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dog trained to alert people who are deaf or hard of hearing to such sounds as the ringing of an alarm, doorbell, or telephone.
- ‘And while I've heard that a hearing dog would alert us to any crying the baby makes, we can't afford one.’
- ‘She has proved her worth, as a hearing dog and as a guardian angel.’
- ‘Yet it costs just as much to train a hearing dog and several months of training.’
- ‘‘Mandy, this is Jessie, my hearing dog,’ Jenny explained as she scratched Jessie behind the ears.’
- ‘In the past year these visitors have included music and theatre groups, the fire service and police personnel, a hearing dog and trainer, and a mother with her newborn baby.’
- ‘Some of the dogs rescued in the past have become hearing dogs for the deaf or have gone on to work for the RAF.’
- ‘He chose the charity because nephew Sam has partial hearing and may benefit from a hearing dog one day.’
- ‘If you start with a young puppy, the amount of time isn't usually too much more than what would be needed to train a hearing dog: about 30 to 45 minutes a day, plus one hour a week when you are in an obedience class.’
- ‘After decades giving her time to help others, Mrs Sansom has been recognised for her efforts and had a hearing dog she helped to pay for named in her honour.’
- ‘Plucky hearing dog Rosie defied cruel thugs and a savage attack to scoop a bravery award.’
- ‘I swear if I could pass Gracie off as a hearing dog and get away with it I would.’
- ‘I told them about the royal decree but they said they would still only allow guide dogs for the blind and hearing dogs for the deaf.’
- ‘Four years ago, the charity Hearing Dogs for Deaf People gave her a hearing dog to aid her with everyday household sounds.’
- ‘I was also involved in teaching assistance dogs, such as seeing-eye and hearing dogs, for people with an impaired sense.’
- ‘Blind people get Seeing Eye dogs, deaf people get hearing dogs.’
- ‘‘Jessie is a hearing dog,’ Jenny explained with a smile, trying desperately to ignore the look of disaproval on the woman's face.’
- ‘Her hearing dog, Jessie, was curled up at the foot of her bed, asleep.’
- ‘Temperament tested and intensively trained for nearly eight months, Noah joined the honorable ranks of border collies working as certified hearing dogs and service dogs.’
- ‘Matthew led a sponsored cycle ride to help to buy a hearing dog for a profoundly deaf teacher at the college.’
- ‘The new scheme only applies to cats and dogs coming to Britain from Western Europe, and may also include guide dogs and hearing dogs from Australia and New Zealand.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.