One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A strip of decorative material worn around the head by women.
- ‘Author and poet asha bandele, wearing a long, black silk skirt and lavender headwrap is escorted by her young daughter, Nisa, who is four.’
- ‘True to her stage name, Ghant is sporting a magnificently towering golden headwrap, which provides a fitting visual compliment to the size and tone color of her prodigious pipes.’
- ‘First held in 1966, the ball reflected a new ‘Black is Beautiful’ ethos that flaunted African robes, headwraps, and natural hairstyles.’
- ‘‘How stylish is that Pucci headwrap,’ she comments to a friend.’
- ‘There were 79 women, 11 with heads uncovered, the rest split between headscarves and black flowing abayas; 11 Shia turbans, 22 yashmaks, one Kurdish tribal headwrap and a sea of Western suits.’
- ‘Wrap-arounds, headwraps, African prints, chocolate tones, earthy strong colours and traditional accessories that dispelled the stereotypical explosive bright colours which have become predictable summer essentials.’
- ‘She too looks like what we expect - like a rather severe-looking Negress, somewhere between 20 and 65, with magnificently high cheekbones, perfect skin, Badu headwrap, flaring nostrils and lips curled into a full, sensuous frown.’
- ‘The professor, resplendent in an African-style headwrap, named ‘George Augustus Bridgewater’, the black violinist for whom Beethoven wrote his Kreutzer Sonata, as a useful role model.’
- ‘Although feathers remained, hats, headwraps and heavily-decorated headpieces helped to enhance costumes.’
- ‘Toying with the pink headwrap that I had tied around my neck, I stared at them.’
- ‘Wearing a red dress, hot pink headwrap, kente cloth, a silk fringed shawl, and an armful of bangles, she is fully sexual, a celebration of African American womanhood.’
- ‘The hip and happening days of Acid Jazz in the late 1980s saw the brief flourishing of ‘jazz - rap’, all conscious lyrics and African headwraps, the marriage of ‘live’ jazz, DJ technique and rapped lyrics.’
- ‘For example Ford and other students in Milwaukee are petitioning the administration to allow them to wear headwraps next year.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.