One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1In the region or direction of the head.
- ‘Odd neuron numbers respond to headwards displacements and even numbers to tailwards displacements.’
- 1.1Geology Denoting erosion by a stream or river occurring progressively upstream from the original source.
- ‘The Alpine lakes of northern Italy, also, are now thought to occupy sites of headward erosion during Messinian time.’
- ‘During the Miocene the shelf was intermittently emergent, and the submarine canyons were extended to the shelf area through headward erosion.’
- ‘Apparently, V-shaped and planar-floored canyons, previously ascribed to downslope erosion vs. slope failure/headward erosion, respectively, can coexist.’
- ‘To the east, the Great Escarpment marks the limit of headwards erosion of these tablelands from the coastal plain.’
Towards the head.
- ‘For a very brief instant, looking headwards as he was, he could not identify the person by sex, for he saw a turban and under it a face which though not that of an East Indian was colored almost olive.’
- ‘Presumably, saying a nerve moves headwards or toewards is not sophisticated enough for doctors.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.