Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A strip of colourful fabric worn tied around the head by women.
- ‘Both the new headtie and the money in the bowl belong to the bride.’
- ‘Straighten out the edges of the layers of the headtie starting from behind till you get to the front.’
- ‘For women, this consists of a blouse whether fitted with an elaborate design, and a wrapper, a wrap around skirt, or a long, loose fitting dress called a bouba with embroidery on the top, all of these outfits include a hat or headtie, optional.’
- ‘They delight in fine materials, brightly coloured headties, beads, ear-rings, and even henna for their nails.’
- ‘Suddenly, as if from nowhere, a very dark middle-aged woman dressed in deep red skirt, black blouse and green headtie came to us and said: ‘Boys, don't stand there!’’
- ‘The mourning women, wearing headties, lace blouses and striped wrappers, stand at either side of the bed.’
- ‘From the hair and makeup to the headtie for both my wedding and thanksgiving celebration, Shegcy did such a wonderful job and I will be forever grateful for his contribution to such a beautiful day.’
- ‘He is not adorned in a green shirt, nor is he wearing a green headtie or waving flags or tree branches like the other supporters, but he is showing his support.’
- ‘They are forced to uncover their headties in order that they may be photographed, a requirement which is not imposed on women from other religious groups that go through the same process of application.’
- ‘From this perspective, for example, a study of the ubiquitous West African headtie would invite new questions regarding how African modes of dress are represented and consumed by various culture producers and audiences in the West.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.