One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A set of bearings in a machine, supporting a revolving part.
- ‘They are located on either side of the headstock.’
- ‘Securing a standard velocity Long Rifle cartridge in the headstock, we drilled a hollowpoint with a center drill driven in from the tailstock.’
- ‘The ladder arms are brought together at the front and angled up to become the headstock for the motorcycle forks, which are kept at a more vertical angle to allow for the extremely sharp turns.’
- ‘The latest electric bike does look quite spiffy, with a mountain bike chassis and a large battery which drops into the downtube from the headstock.’
- ‘Lift the front of the bike up so the front wheel is off the ground and check there is not excessive play in the headstock.’
2The widened piece at the end of the neck of a guitar, to which the tuning pegs are fixed.
- ‘Having said that, I do have a Strat that I made from parts, but I put a left-handed Explorer style neck on it, so it looks really funky with this weird upside-down hockey-stick headstock.’
- ‘I snapped a key of my CASIO trying to play it with the headstock of my bass.’
- ‘I don't know why, but I just didn't like the look of a dark brown rosewood fretboard with a pale wood headstock (that's the very top bit).’
- ‘When I finally got the parts, he told me that when I change the tuning pegs, there will be extra holes on the headstock.’
- ‘Liz walked on inconspicuously until the headstocks of two B.C. Rich guitars closed in front of her.’
- ‘Following them was the source of the music, a man perched in the back of a pickup truck, surrounded by children, playing what appeared to be an electric double-ukulele that had what looked like a large flame carved onto the headstock.’
- ‘Then I took a speaker coil, mounted a magnet to the back of the headstock and drove the coil with a really high-ohm/watt output amp so that the speaker would actually drive the body of the guitar.’
- ‘By the way, trainspotters, I noticed that Kramer's Fender Strat was a non-tremolo model but bizarrely had the legend ‘With Synchronized Tremolo’ on the headstock!’
- ‘Later on at the same show I smashed my guitar and the neck broke, but the headstock was still attached with the strings so when I picked up the body to throw against the wall it came flying by and smashed me in the back of the head.’
- ‘It's infamous for looking like a cross between a ‘Les Paul’ but with a headstock similar to a Strat.’
- ‘Tonal vomit choked out of guitar headstocks, shrieks were speared and tossed - fish fished for and forgotten in retreat.’
- ‘Evil Jared lit up a small torch on his guitar's headstock while marching like a goose-stepping Nazi soldier.’
- ‘Fretless electric basses were introduced in 1966 by Ampeg, and ‘headless’ models, with the headstock removed and tuners set in the body, were introduced in 1979 by Ned Steinberger.’
- ‘He pulled his guitar up further and she saw the name on the headstock.’
3The horizontal end member of the underframe of a railway vehicle.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.