Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small deep-bodied freshwater fish of the Amazon region, popular in aquaria. It swims and feeds at an oblique angle with the head down.
- ‘Despite all this the headstander was my favorite fish, and the last troublemaker to leave the tank.’
- ‘Marbled headstanders are not rare, but they're only available at certain times of the year, so you don't tend to see them for sale very often.’
- ‘The headstanders of the family Anostomidae definitely number among this type of characin, and need to be handled in much the same way as a territorial cichlid.’
- ‘The most popular are the marbled and the spotted headstander.’
- ‘This large group of fish are from Africa and central America some are shoaling species, which is 6 or more they include hatchetfish, pencilfish and tetras, headstanders and piranhas.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.