One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An act of balancing on one's head and hands with one's feet in the air.
- ‘I can now raise my hips and feet into a headstand in very slow motion with full control.’
- ‘At the heart of the matter are allegations by animal-welfare activists that brutal training methods are used to coerce elephants - which can weigh as much as 8,000 pounds - into performing tricks such as headstands.’
- ‘The manatees performed headstands and even nudged them with their noses to get scratched and petted.’
- ‘I'm doing 4 different warrior type lunge postures and 5 different headstands.’
- ‘‘Ideally, we want students with some amount of core strength and some experience doing inversions - headstands and handstands,’ says Goldberg.’
- ‘I am fine - doing headstands, I can keep a book on my head without it falling off.’
- ‘Their death-defying flips and headstands earned them six tens and the highest overall score of the night, 69.6.’
- ‘The most important pose to skip is the headstand, because it causes blood and other bodily fluids to rush toward your upper body and stresses your heart and blood vessels.’
- ‘Then there was that girl that kept doing headstands on the speakers at Art's Bar.’
- ‘Forearm stands, headstands, difficult balance poses - he did them all, concentrating as fully as he had on anything all day.’
- ‘At the institute, he does his yoga practice - quiet forward bends, rock-steady headstands, precise backbends - in full view of the students.’
- ‘However, last week's class brought us into a realm of chaos I never thought possible in a class that includes meditation: headstands.’
- ‘Spins, leaps, headstands and other acrobatics captivate and thrill.’
- ‘Instead of taking mind bending coo-coo pills, I'll stick to yoga from now on; a five-minute headstand is the best kind of medicine.’
- ‘He was not surprised by fancy suggestions such as bending backward to touch the head to the floor, handstands, five-minute headstands and, of course, various pretzels of the leg-behind-the-neck category.’
- ‘They did headstands, armstands, they became trees, the trunks and limbs of trees, then bodies crawling over each other like larvae, then upright with the prowess of panthers.’
- ‘And we're treated to them all doing headstands or something.’
- ‘During the 6-10 day incubation, the male takes care of the nest - cleaning and guarding it, and periodically doing a headstand to fan the eggs and aerate them.’
- ‘My daughter had a bruise on her head and shoulder, but the two riding in the back seats were fine. I was in there for another hour and a half, upside down doing a yoga headstand because that was the only way I could breathe.’
- ‘Maneuvers like face plants, front flips, back flips, cartwheels, butt flops, and headstands aren't rad new acrobatics.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.