One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The gasket which fits between the cylinder head and the cylinders or cylinder block in an internal combustion engine.
- ‘To this day I'm grateful to Johnny D for teaching me about head gaskets and timing belts.’
- ‘She blew a head gasket last weekend but once I get that fixed and buy my new blower motor she's gonna be running 7 second quarters.’
- ‘After only four laps of the opening session on Friday, the engine blew a head gasket sidelining them for the rest of the day, meaning he missed the first timed qualifying session.’
- ‘If a $4 cylinder head gasket blows, it costs the customer $1,000 in engine repairs.’
- ‘The extra rpm from the spinning tires caused dropped cylinders and a burned head gasket.’
- ‘Then the head gasket failed at 80,000 miles on a vehicle that had all the required maintenance outlined in the owner's manual.’
- ‘Cylinder head gaskets are expensive and the V6 chews through them like so much gum.’
- ‘The latter regulates coolant flow through an electronic water pump and multiport proportional flow control valve, and draws information from sensors embedded in the head gasket.’
- ‘Even if you don't need to know this now, the day you take your car in for an oil change and a mechanic tells you your head gasket needs replaced, you'll thank me.’
- ‘The thickness of the wristpin walls has to be increased, and the head gaskets have to be supplemented with wire O-rings.’
- ‘The block is modified to accept stainless steel O-rings and a copper head gasket, which are better able to stand up to internal pressure.’
- ‘Then, with the engine happy, any further changes for more or less power are accomplished by adjusting the thickness of the copper head gaskets in increments as small as two- or three-thousandths of an inch.’
- ‘‘Months of planning and training almost came undone when our primary transport vehicle blew a head gasket the week before,’ they said.’
- ‘One application for Dana is the combination of its low-tech cylinder head gaskets with state-of-the-art sensors to create ‘smart’ gaskets capable of monitoring engine temperature.’
- ‘A ground strap bolted to the engine block may not do the job; head gaskets, silicon, and bolt sealer can electrically insulate the cylinder heads from ground.’
- ‘It was trashed within a year after he went through five head gaskets.’
- ‘The package will include everything north of the head gasket, except the rocker cover.’
- ‘I changed the head gasket myself, following the instructions in the manual, parked on St Kilda esplanade.’
- ‘This happens when the head gasket was not able to seal coolant passages, allowing it to enter the cylinder where it is turned into vapor as the engine burns the air and fuel mixture.’
- ‘The garage fixed it again but now the head gasket has gone after just 69,000 miles and only 2,000 miles since the initial problem.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.