One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Causing a severe headache.‘a head-splitting hangover’‘head-splitting high squeals’
noisy, blaring, booming, deafening, roaring, thunderous, thundering, tumultuous, clamorous, blasting, ear-splitting, ear-piercing, piercingView synonyms
- ‘She can now admit that the pressure of fame was almost head-splitting at times.’
- ‘As it turned out, being in a house full of comedians was less side-splitting than it was head-splitting.’
- ‘The collection suggests head-splitting bass and glossy productions aren't so important.’
- ‘Behind the head-splitting cacophony of grating guitar noise, Gillard yelps humorously childlike bathroom scrawling for the entire length of this 28 minute release.’
- ‘If Sara had seen her friend a mere week later, after another head splitting lesson, she would have been astounded by the progress Alex was making.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.