Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A round brown hard-shelled nut that is the edible fruit of the hazel.
- ‘We plucked fresh figs, apples, plums and hazelnuts from trees heavy with crops.’
- ‘Sprinkle on toasted and chopped hazelnuts or walnuts.’
- ‘There didn't seem to be any good reason to use pistachio here; other nuts, such as almonds or hazelnuts, would probably do.’
- ‘Dukkah is an Egyptian spice mix that includes roasted hazelnuts, cumin, coriander and sesame seeds.’
- ‘Nuts especially high in vitamin E include almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, and pecans.’
- ‘In a small bowl, combine hazelnuts and brown sugar and set aside.’
- ‘Sunflower seeds, almonds and hazelnuts are rich sources of vitamin E.’
- ‘Her skin is a luminous hazelnut brown and has a leathery texture.’
- ‘You could also use hazelnuts, Brazils, cashews and pecans.’
- ‘Unroasted nuts such as almonds, cashews, pecans, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts and walnuts make an ideal snack food.’
- ‘There were almonds, peanuts, cashews, hazelnuts, pecans and Brazil nuts.’
- ‘Thankfully for me I love cashews, hazelnuts, almonds and pistachios.’
- ‘We gathered acorns and hazelnuts and beechnuts in the woods.’
- ‘When they're roasted, hazelnuts are the best nuts by far!’
- ‘The loaf is hot and soft, and smells of almonds and hazelnuts and nutmeg.’
- ‘The hazelnuts in their shells that appear from autumn through to winter make us appreciate that food in season is always best.’
- ‘I like a mix of flaked almonds, chopped almonds and hazelnuts.’
- ‘All along the top of the cake were five hazelnuts.’
- ‘Prepare the hazelnuts by roasting in the oven until brown.’
- ‘When the hazelnuts have completely cooled, break each one apart.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.