One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A round brown hard-shelled nut that is the edible fruit of the hazel.
- ‘You could also use hazelnuts, Brazils, cashews and pecans.’
- ‘Prepare the hazelnuts by roasting in the oven until brown.’
- ‘Nuts especially high in vitamin E include almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, and pecans.’
- ‘We gathered acorns and hazelnuts and beechnuts in the woods.’
- ‘The hazelnuts in their shells that appear from autumn through to winter make us appreciate that food in season is always best.’
- ‘Unroasted nuts such as almonds, cashews, pecans, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts and walnuts make an ideal snack food.’
- ‘When they're roasted, hazelnuts are the best nuts by far!’
- ‘I like a mix of flaked almonds, chopped almonds and hazelnuts.’
- ‘Sprinkle on toasted and chopped hazelnuts or walnuts.’
- ‘Thankfully for me I love cashews, hazelnuts, almonds and pistachios.’
- ‘Her skin is a luminous hazelnut brown and has a leathery texture.’
- ‘All along the top of the cake were five hazelnuts.’
- ‘We plucked fresh figs, apples, plums and hazelnuts from trees heavy with crops.’
- ‘There were almonds, peanuts, cashews, hazelnuts, pecans and Brazil nuts.’
- ‘In a small bowl, combine hazelnuts and brown sugar and set aside.’
- ‘Sunflower seeds, almonds and hazelnuts are rich sources of vitamin E.’
- ‘The loaf is hot and soft, and smells of almonds and hazelnuts and nutmeg.’
- ‘There didn't seem to be any good reason to use pistachio here; other nuts, such as almonds or hazelnuts, would probably do.’
- ‘When the hazelnuts have completely cooled, break each one apart.’
- ‘Dukkah is an Egyptian spice mix that includes roasted hazelnuts, cumin, coriander and sesame seeds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.