One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of a pair of yellow flashing indicator lights on a vehicle, switched on simultaneously as a warning that the vehicle is stationary or unexpectedly slowing down or reversing.
- ‘The officer was unable to explain why he failed to see the hazard warning lights of the stationary cars.’
- ‘If the driver brakes hard or decelerates suddenly, hazard lights will switch on automatically to alert other road users.’
- ‘He had switched on the hazard lights of the yellow removal van, while his passenger had got out and waved a warning to oncoming vehicles.’
- ‘The vehicle had its hazard warning lights on and she saw a man standing in the road waving his arms as if he was in distress.’
- ‘The car's hazard warning lights automatically switch on with sudden braking or in a collision.’
- ‘Just look for the tractor trailer with its hazard lights flashing, parked in the middle of the street.’
- ‘He ploughed into a yellow lorry that was showing hazard lights, despite a man clearly waving to warn traffic of the danger ahead.’
- ‘He switched off the hazard lights, looked briefly over his shoulder and started up again.’
- ‘He even managed to activate the hazard lights and windscreen wipers.’
- ‘I was driving down El Camino Real when I saw a broken down tour bus pulled over on the side of the road, hazard lights flashing.’
- ‘Thieves made a getaway with tyres and hazard lights.’
- ‘Drive slowly and use your hazard lights.’
- ‘The safety equipment list includes anti-lock braking, automatic hazard warning lights, and stability and traction control.’
- ‘As a lorry stopped short of the crash scene, flashing its hazard lights, a silver Peugeot car ran into the back of it.’
- ‘He crept along with the hazard lights blinking.’
- ‘My friend calmly switched on the hazard lights and proceeded in getting out of his car to check his engine.’
- ‘Th panic button sets off a siren and causes the hazard lights to flash.’
- ‘Heavy traffic on the motorway had been reduced to a crawl and he switched on his hazard lights to warn drivers behind him.’
- ‘I looked at Mom through the mirror to see if she wanted me to put on my hazard lights and pull over until the storm calmed.’
- ‘The hazard warning lights automatically come on when braking heavily at speeds in excess of 30 mph.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.