One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The activity of making hay from grass grown for fodder.
- ‘To improve his income he helped a lot of other farmers, grass seeding and haymaking.’
- ‘Some of the land will be used for haymaking or left to grow wild and it is hoped that rare breeds, such as Exmoor Ponies could graze there.’
- ‘People travelled from all corners of Munster to see a magnificent display of vintage machinery, threshing, haymaking and old farm skills of bygone days.’
- ‘There was a ready supply of brute strength at the peak times of the agricultural year, such as haymaking, harvest, and the grape-picking season.’
- ‘Relatives, if they live close by, will help out, especially during haymaking, but younger people here have left the land.’
- ‘Demonstrations of the ancient crafts of butter and basket-making also drew much attention, as did the interesting demonstrations of haymaking, sheep shearing and other activities.’
- ‘An 18-year-old youth, his friend and a farmer claimed they spotted a UFO while returning from haymaking.’
- ‘Often all summer was spent haymaking, with large gangs of men and horses, moving slowly through the district, field by field.’
- ‘A larger than usual number of Irish labourers presented themselves at Skipton market for the annual haymaking engagement.’
- ‘Silage and haymaking have proved impossible, leaving farmers in some areas facing a real fodder problem this winter.’
- ‘In the countryside children worked in the fields from haymaking to the harvest.’
- ‘The slow fermentation of the cider made it ready for drinking at the thirsty times of haymaking and harvest the following year.’
- ‘The villagers will look after their own cattle, make their own dairy produce, grow and preserve their own crops and do their own haymaking.’
- ‘Hot steaming rains fell frequently, hindering the late haymaking in the other meads.’
- ‘It looked easy, but when Cecil was a lad haymaking was a time of acute stress.’
- ‘The farm assembly had decided that in view of the dry weather all hands should be used for haymaking.’
- ‘Pearl and her father pooled their resources with neighbours at haymaking time.’
- ‘In rural areas during the haymaking season it is not unusual to see farmers falling asleep over their beer in the local pub.’
- ‘Grass for haymaking is the main crop and its yield is directly affected by temperature, length of snow cover, and duration of frosts.’
- ‘That spells the end of centuries of tinkling cowbells, haymaking and fine cheeses - and ruin for many Alpine communities.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.