One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A loft over a stable used for storing hay or straw.
- ‘Three women escaped from prison and sought to hide in the hayloft of a local farmer's barn.’
- ‘It is built into an incline with a large entrance to the hayloft on an upper level and the entrances to the stables on the opposite lower level.’
- ‘He crouches at the edge of the hayloft and stands up, looking around for fresh straw to take down to his horse.’
- ‘He stole the book out of the library and secretly read it in the hayloft above a nearby barn.’
- ‘It contains seven bays for hay and grain storage, a threshing floor, two stables and a hayloft.’
- ‘The figure quietly moved Barranca's bridle and saddle to the hayloft where it would remain hidden until a thorough search was made of the barn.’
- ‘The little girl was more often to be found prowling around the barns and jumping out of haylofts than sitting inside doing needlework.’
- ‘They found three haybales that were against the edge of the hayloft, and carefully pulled them apart.’
- ‘He was climbing down the ladder from the hayloft.’
- ‘The flames danced and licked the hayloft and the house connected to it was charred and falling.’
- ‘With a start, he realized that he was still in the hayloft, and the sun was well up.’
- ‘It was made from wood, and had a high arching roof, with haylofts to either side, almost like a barn.’
- ‘I discovered the owls by accident one day, when I climbed into the hayloft of my grandfather's old barn to play on the bales.’
- ‘The well-fenced paddock would be suitable for up to four horses, while a former coach house now provides two loose boxes with a hayloft above.’
- ‘Our role was to protect the crops and guard the haylofts.’
- ‘Imagine that: someone who knows all about barn owls, nature and haylofts.’
- ‘I'd jump headlong from the hayloft into piles of straw, never stopping to consider how deep the straw was.’
- ‘The farm's organic alfalfa is stored in the hayloft above.’
- ‘He had just descended from the hayloft where he had been pitching down some fresh supplies for the horses.’
- ‘Grateful that the grooms from the other stables had taken care of their horses that day, they climbed wearily into their rooms in the hayloft.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.