Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The activity of mowing and drying grass to make hay:‘the local council declared the opening date for haying on the prairie lands’[as modifier] ‘the haying season’
- ‘When selecting an alfalfa variety, consider whether it will be primarily grazed, or harvested with a combination of haying and grazing.’
- ‘Some birds will re-nest if the nest is destroyed by predators or by human activities, such as cultivating and haying.’
- ‘Hiring one boy, I tackled the biggest job on the farm: haying.’
- ‘She drove a hay truck and tractor as early as age 10 and mowed and raked during haying season.’
- ‘She also sold maple syrup and sometimes helped during haying.’
- ‘Managed haying and grazing is allowed under certain conditions.’
- ‘She wouldn't mind helping out a bit more and driving a tractor, but managing haying equipment was a bit of a foreign concept to her.’
- ‘Short trees can be mowed with a shielded mower shortly after regular cutting and haying.’
- ‘Due to her contribution, it was not necessary to hire help, except occasionally during haying season.’
- ‘Producers who suspect extensive damage should talk with their crop insurance agents to see if the field might be released for haying or grazing.’
- ‘They had already busted a lot of bales while haying because someone had bought cheap twine and it had molded and rotted.’
- ‘First cut haying operations are now about 70 per cent complete.’
- ‘Traditionally, haying also starts about this time and 29 June was a time for fairs.’
- ‘Annual winter weeds are germinating rapidly, suggesting early weed pressure on grazing and haying crops.’
- ‘Every step in the haying process I understand, but what methods do you use to spread so much seed around?’
- ‘Some are haying, green chopping, or grazing their corn.’
- ‘Like fire and grazing, the haying rejuvenates older grasslands by removing dead vegetation and opening up the grass canopy.’
- ‘In the three decades of its existence, the Community mechanized such once laborious tasks as haying, harvesting, and ice cutting.’
- ‘Adam's tractor has been used for maple sugaring, for sheep farming, for haying, and for a multitude of other activities over the years.’
- ‘With haying completed in this field in northwest Custer County, the large hay bales break the flow of the natural Plain.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.