Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small tropical sea turtle with hooked jaws and overlapping horny plates on the shell, the traditional source of tortoiseshell.
- ‘Two of the beaches have evidence of more than 100 nesting pits each and appear to be especially important for hawksbills.’
- ‘When conditions are really harsh and the diving itinerary allows only beach diving, there is a good chance of seeing hawksbill turtles on the east coast.’
- ‘Japan has agreed to stop importing hawksbill turtles under the threat of a trade ban by the U.S.’
- ‘At the end of the wall we inadvertently disturbed a hawksbill turtle resting among the fronds of a soft coral.’
- ‘There are two species of sea turtles that mate and nest in the Gulf: the hawksbill and the green turtle, both endangered species.’
- ‘The hawksbill sea turtle population in the Gulf of Thailand is small and in danger of extinction because of illegal fishing and the mammals' limited ability to reproduce.’
- ‘Close to the mangroves a big hawksbill turtle surfaced then lay motionless in the sunshine, no doubt sunbathing.’
- ‘They might decide to visit the Turtle Island park, a famous breeding ground for green and hawksbill turtles.’
- ‘One time I come across one of numerous hawksbill turtles feeding undisturbed on the reef.’
- ‘On many nights, endangered hawksbill and green sea turtles crawl onto the beach to lay their eggs.’
- ‘The shell, generally from the backplates of the Far Eastern hawksbill turtle, was heated and then molded into the desired shape.’
- ‘Our hawksbills were visiting in search of food and unintimidated by the sharks or by us.’
- ‘I reminisce about the sight of a hawksbill turtle and the sound it made as it swept its fins over the sand for a comfortable spot to lay eggs.’
- ‘There is incredible 60m visibility, amazing multicoloured coral, and everything from hawksbill turtles to giant manta rays to see.’
- ‘We peer into tubs of wriggling baby turtles - hawksbill, green, loggerhead - each about the size of a 50 cent piece, who await release at night.’
- ‘Green and hawksbill turtles use the beaches for nesting, and the resort has a small hatchery.’
- ‘Another reason for arriving at night and stepping very carefully is that you might encounter a leatherback or hawksbill turtle coming ashore to lay her eggs.’
- ‘For centuries hawksbills have been hunted for their carapace, the natural source of tortoiseshell.’
- ‘Turtles, green and hawksbill, still browse among the sponges and coral of the reefs.’
- ‘Officers at the center said they cultivate 2 types of baby sea turtles; the lays turtle and the hawksbill turtle.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.