One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Electromagnetic radiation which, according to theory, should be emitted by a black hole. The radiation is due to the black hole capturing one of a particle-antiparticle pair created spontaneously near to the event horizon.
- ‘In simple terms, what is now known as Hawking radiation is produced when quantum fluctuations give rise to pairs of short-lived virtual particles near the event horizon.’
- ‘Black hole entropy as a concept grew out of the theoretical discovery of Hawking radiation, the outcome of combining quantum particle theory with classical gravity in the vicinity of a black hole.’
- ‘Black holes tend to be very heavy, so their output of Hawking radiation would be too low to detect experimentally.’
- ‘Stephen Hawking showed that the entropy of matter absorbed by a black hole is stored in the surface area of its event horizon and is released back into the universe as the black hole decays by Hawking radiation.’
- ‘The Second Law of Thermodynamics requires that black holes emit so-called Hawking radiation, which can exert a sort of ‘buoyant force’ on nearby matter.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.