Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in SE Asia) a market at which individual vendors sell ready-to-eat food from small booths.
- ‘The winner gets a delicious lunch with me at the hawker centre of his/her choice.’
- ‘Canteens, cafeterias and/or hawker centers in office and school locations offer budget-level hot meals suited to local tastes.’
- ‘If I had used a little more logic (very ironic for the topic at hand), I should have spent that $48 to buy 144 packets of tissue from the next lucky blind old man who approaches me while I dine at a hawker centre.’
- ‘In April, the tourism board will offer abbreviated ‘Food Safaris’ charging tourists up to S $65 a head for a hawker centre sampling of 10 ‘must try’ dishes.’
- ‘At the Geylang hawker centre half the stores are halal, the other half non-halal.’
- ‘A few weeks ago I was buying a drink at a hawker centre near Redhill.’
- ‘My girlfriend refuses to eat hawker centre or food court food.’
- ‘The chef tucks into the day's first recipe, Hainanese Chicken Rice, a standby of Singapore's hawker centers.’
- ‘Soon she started organising culinary tours to the local wet markets, hawker centres and ethnic quarters like Little India and Chinatown.’
- ‘Ethnic Chinatown has a grand hawker centre on Smith Street, with 18 kiosks spilling onto the road.’
- ‘I'm off to swim in the pool before seafood dinner in a hawker centre.’
- ‘We got dinner from the hawker centre and found a bench near the shore.’
- ‘Her food had just arrived when Eve noticed Casey and his brother enter the large hawker centre.’
- ‘One night will by no means be enough to try all the dishes, and a trip to the hawker center sure beats the boredom of room service.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.