One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hawklike owl with a small head and long tail.
- ‘Some of the rare birds that were sighted in the premises included a pair of brown hawk owls, which was photographed by the team.’
- ‘When thousands of great gray, boreal and northern hawk owls flocked to northern Minnesota looking for food, they became targets.’
- ‘It seems odd that the hawk owl should emerge as a vole specialist at all, given the owl's strong physical resemblance to birds that prey on other birds.’
- ‘Some of the most common birds of prey here, the bald eagle, peregrine falcon, and osprey, are fish-eaters, though the hawk owl is not.’
- ‘The northern hawk owl, a rare sight in the wild, pinned its yellow eyes on me and let out a sibilant screech that nearly made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.