One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Half of a versed sine.
- ‘By the device of using versines instead of haversines in these tables it will be found that solutions of the astronomical triangle will be correct to within one minute of arc.’
- ‘The calculation is done using the haversines formula.’
- ‘Regardless of whether you choose to use the sight reduction tables or prefer the haversine formula you will require a nautical almanac.’
- ‘For all intents and purposes, the haversine is the most accurate way to calculate distance on a sphere.’
- ‘The pulse shape is usually assumed to be of haversine, half-sine or some other tapered rectangular shape.’
Late 19th century: contraction of half versed sine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.