One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
often with negative Have in one's possession.‘Jimmy hadn't a bean to his name’
possess, own, be in possession of, be the owner of, be the possessor of, be the proud possessor of, have in one's possession, have to one's name, count among one's possessions, be blessed with, boast, enjoyView synonyms
- ‘One pair of faded jeans and purple boxer shorts were all he had to his name - he didn't even have shoes.’
- ‘Water will be rushing all around you along with floating bodies, furniture, cars… everything you have to your name is lost under that water.’
- ‘Now all I have to my name is an overstuffed backpack.’
- ‘He prefers to keep going, not dwelling too long on the achievements he already has to his name.’
- ‘He was a highly paid hacker for the government and that was all he had to his name.’
- ‘We can attract students from all over the world because they want a piece of the tradition of great success that we now have to our name.’
- ‘The only money you have to your name belongs to a diamond and a lady.’
- ‘He has to his name over 20 scholarly publications that appeared in this country and abroad.’
- ‘The jury felt differently, and awarded a judgment that amounted to just about every dime I had to my name.’
- ‘Drawing was the one thing I had to my name, but hardly a soul knew it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.