One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Have someone completely under one's control.‘the guys have the crowd eating out of their hand right away with a few jokes’
be in charge of, run, be in control of, manage, direct, administer, head, preside over, have authority over, supervise, superintend, oversee, guide, steerView synonyms
- ‘Laidlaw had Jack eating out of his hand, especially when he offered him a wee trip round the Cote d' Azur in his yacht.’
- ‘Toni nodded her approval, ‘If you don't have Jamie eating out of your hand, believe me, you'll have every other guy there instead!’’
- ‘You won't be so reluctant to admit it when I have him eating out of your hand.’
- ‘He has everyone's respect because of his charisma and the young guys on the training pitch - he has us eating out of his hand.’
- ‘Candlelight dinners will have me eating out of your hand.’
- ‘Turning her charm switch on, Tracy had had him eating out of her hand in a week.’
- ‘Paul laughed at the memory of Jason bragging about how he'd have Kirby eating out of his hand and begging to be forgiven.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.