One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Have someone completely under one's control.‘the guys have the crowd eating out of their hand right away with a few jokes’
be in charge of, run, be in control of, manage, direct, administer, head, preside over, have authority over, supervise, superintend, oversee, guide, steerView synonyms
- ‘Laidlaw had Jack eating out of his hand, especially when he offered him a wee trip round the Cote d' Azur in his yacht.’
- ‘Candlelight dinners will have me eating out of your hand.’
- ‘He has everyone's respect because of his charisma and the young guys on the training pitch - he has us eating out of his hand.’
- ‘Paul laughed at the memory of Jason bragging about how he'd have Kirby eating out of his hand and begging to be forgiven.’
- ‘You won't be so reluctant to admit it when I have him eating out of your hand.’
- ‘Toni nodded her approval, ‘If you don't have Jamie eating out of your hand, believe me, you'll have every other guy there instead!’’
- ‘Turning her charm switch on, Tracy had had him eating out of her hand in a week.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.