One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Show compassion or forgiveness to.‘may the Lord have mercy on her soul’‘have mercy on the player and give him plenty of rests’
pardon, forgive, grant an amnesty to, amnestyView synonyms
- ‘And every mother prays for her son, May God forgive him and have mercy on him.’
- ‘And may he have mercy on us all, especially victims and abusers.’
- ‘He begged his god's forgiveness and asked him to have mercy on his children.’
- ‘May Allah forgive all living and all dead and have mercy upon us all.’
- ‘May the Lord have mercy on your soul,’ the judge said to a silent Cadette, who smiled as he was led out of the courtroom by police.’
- ‘If this is indeed the case, then may God have mercy on all our souls, for the problem is even deeper than I had previously feared.’
- ‘O Allah, forgive me, have mercy on me, guide me aright and grant me sustenance.’
- ‘Let every community set a watch in prayer and uplift each other and may God have mercy upon our souls.’
- ‘‘May the lord have mercy on your soul,’ Scott said.’
- ‘If God is all forgiving then he will have mercy on us for taking some drastic measures to defend the people.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.