One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be uninvolved and blameless with regard to an immoral act.‘no one involved in the conflict has clean hands’
- ‘No region of the world has been spared it and very few people have clean hands.’
- ‘Perhaps she had forgotten that if you are going to preach, it is as well to have clean hands.’
- ‘Real institutions, real governments, and real leaders will never have clean hands in a dirty world.’
- ‘As a society, I would love to think that we are humble, righteous, and that our hands are clean.’
- ‘The truth is that politicians do not have clean hands to deal with it.’
- ‘Neither side, however, can claim to have clean hands.’
- ‘If the applicant is seeking an equitable remedy it must come to court with clean hands and reveal the state of its financial house.’
- ‘We are the only party that can come along and say we have clean hands.’
- ‘But there are questions about the loyalty and integrity of this intelligence service that, after all, does not have clean hands.’
- ‘I don't think many people have clean hands when it comes to bullying, and nor should we pretend to.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.