One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be uninvolved and blameless with regard to an immoral act.‘no one involved in the conflict has clean hands’
- ‘The truth is that politicians do not have clean hands to deal with it.’
- ‘If the applicant is seeking an equitable remedy it must come to court with clean hands and reveal the state of its financial house.’
- ‘Neither side, however, can claim to have clean hands.’
- ‘No region of the world has been spared it and very few people have clean hands.’
- ‘As a society, I would love to think that we are humble, righteous, and that our hands are clean.’
- ‘Perhaps she had forgotten that if you are going to preach, it is as well to have clean hands.’
- ‘We are the only party that can come along and say we have clean hands.’
- ‘I don't think many people have clean hands when it comes to bullying, and nor should we pretend to.’
- ‘But there are questions about the loyalty and integrity of this intelligence service that, after all, does not have clean hands.’
- ‘Real institutions, real governments, and real leaders will never have clean hands in a dirty world.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.