One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Have a strong liking for or dislike of.‘she had a thing about men who wore glasses’‘I've always had a thing about mirrors—I can't have one near my bed’
phobia, fear, horror, terrorpenchant for, preference for, taste for, inclination for, partiality for, predilection for, soft spot for, weakness for, fancy for, fondness for, liking for, love for, passion forView synonyms
- ‘Macdonald has a thing about beaches; she can't say why, she just likes them.’
- ‘And he had a thing about not looking directly at her.’
- ‘Some people have a thing about their thighs, stomach or numerous chins.’
- ‘He had a thing about redheads and he liked singers.’
- ‘She's lovely although she has a thing about climbing.’
- ‘And, perhaps as a result, I've always had a thing about not eating too many sweets, although this never seemed to extend to alcohol.’
- ‘I have a thing about sumptuously comfortable beds.’
- ‘For a brief period during my childhood I had a thing about boxing.’
- ‘‘Men have a thing about high heels,’ said sex shop manager Justin Parr.’
- ‘I've always had a thing about travelling light.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.