One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be involved in doing something.‘the girls had a hand in writing the lyrics’
play a part in, contribute to, be a factor in, be responsible for, be partly responsible forView synonyms
- ‘Scores of others also had a hand in birthing this network.’
- ‘Some added that I had had a hand in Allende's death.’
- ‘Neighbours, suspecting that the family members had a hand in the death, called the police.’
- ‘You didn't have a hand in it at all.’
- ‘My ignorance to the video game world of "Final Fantasy" may have a hand in my confusion at this series.’
- ‘Consistently, they have denied they duck each other, or that their father has a hand in the outcome of matches.’
- ‘The Financial Services Authority has had a hand in this debacle.’
- ‘Others hurl insults at neighboring Syria, blamed by many Lebanese for having a hand in the crimes.’
- ‘I think that nature definitely has a hand in the way we slowly forget things.’
- ‘Kelley, one of Hollywood's most prolific TV writer-producers, had a hand in creating most of the scripts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.