Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A ritual burning of offerings such as grains and ghee, which is held to mark births, marriages, and other special occasions.‘I told her that you would arrange a havan and marry her with due formalities’
- ‘The Shiva-Vishnu Temple performs Gayatri havan periodically to propitiate the Lord.’
- ‘And they brought five Brahmins here to do a yagna or havan to ‘clean up’ the temple because we had entered the premises.’
- ‘On March 5, 2000, when the 125th anniversary of the Arya Samaj was cerebrated on the island, more than 165 havans (fire rituals) were performed.’
- ‘Each day begins and ends with hatha yoga, meditation and worship at the havan, or fire ceremony.’
- ‘You know Indians are cricket crazy when a village in Haryana performs a havan to ensure that India will win against Pakistan in the World Cup.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.