One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ritual burning of offerings such as grains and ghee, which is held to mark births, marriages, and other special occasions.‘I told her that you would arrange a havan and marry her with due formalities’
- ‘On March 5, 2000, when the 125th anniversary of the Arya Samaj was cerebrated on the island, more than 165 havans (fire rituals) were performed.’
- ‘And they brought five Brahmins here to do a yagna or havan to ‘clean up’ the temple because we had entered the premises.’
- ‘You know Indians are cricket crazy when a village in Haryana performs a havan to ensure that India will win against Pakistan in the World Cup.’
- ‘The Shiva-Vishnu Temple performs Gayatri havan periodically to propitiate the Lord.’
- ‘Each day begins and ends with hatha yoga, meditation and worship at the havan, or fire ceremony.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.