One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounthe haut monde
Fashionable society.‘the haut monde's artificial hypocrisy’
best, pick, cream, flower, nonpareil, electView synonyms
- ‘Tech stocks may tumble and recession may loom, but the appetite for le Birkin in the haut monde seems insatiable.’
- ‘Built in 1912, the Carlton once attracted the most prominent members of Europe's haut monde.’
- ‘Bon ton, high society, smart set, haut monde, high life, beautiful people etc are some of the words that are synonymous with beau monde.’
- ‘Settling in Paris, she sold her merchandise to the haut monde, and cultivated people who could do her some good.’
- ‘Today it is not only the haut monde getting nipped and tucked, but also the average American.’
French, literally ‘high world’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.