Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Fashionable society.‘the haut monde's artificial hypocrisy’
best, pick, cream, flower, nonpareil, electView synonyms
- ‘Settling in Paris, she sold her merchandise to the haut monde, and cultivated people who could do her some good.’
- ‘Bon ton, high society, smart set, haut monde, high life, beautiful people etc are some of the words that are synonymous with beau monde.’
- ‘Built in 1912, the Carlton once attracted the most prominent members of Europe's haut monde.’
- ‘Tech stocks may tumble and recession may loom, but the appetite for le Birkin in the haut monde seems insatiable.’
- ‘Today it is not only the haut monde getting nipped and tucked, but also the average American.’
French, literally high world.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.