Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1North American term for haulier
- ‘On Friday night, a private hauler contracted by the city to collect garbage during the strike attempted to unload 18 trucks at a garbage-processing plant.’
- ‘Not too many years ago, New York City sanitation workers got pay and benefits so far above those of private refuse haulers that those city jobs were passed down through families like precious heirlooms.’
- ‘In general, this meant 4-5 miles of transport; water haulers received up to three cents per gallon, which was a more profitable business than mining!’
- ‘And a nine-day strike by private garbage haulers last fall meant other Streets and Sanitation workers were diverted to pick up bags that had piled up.’
- ‘It does rely on all parties co-operating - mills, log haulers, contractors, government and drivers, which is no small feat.’
- 1.1A lorry used for the transport of goods or materials.‘a three-ton hauler’
- ‘My guys used to have to fight their way through crowds just to get to the car in the garage or to get to our hauler.’
- ‘Over the winter, I sold our motorhome, trailer, and one of our two race cars, then purchased our current rig, a Kodiak hauler and 49-foot two-car Gold Rush trailer.’
- ‘A lot of times we're gone and we just show up and the cars are on the hauler and you have to have confidence that they're assembled properly and set up properly.’
- ‘Once the car was in the hauler, the two couples headed back to Geoff's motor home.’
- ‘The Microbus' exterior is quite faithful to the old, oblong-shaped VW bus, which was a popular family hauler in the U.S. as well as a flower-power mobile.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.