One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The appearance or quality of being arrogantly superior and disdainful.‘her air of haughtiness’
arrogance, pride, conceit, hubris, self-importance, egotism, sense of superiority, pomposity, high-handedness, swagger, boasting, bumptiousness, bluster, condescension, disdain, contempt, imperiousnessView synonyms
- ‘They perceive haughtiness, arrogance and all sorts of faults in people who are really totally indistinguishable from themselves.’
- ‘She sails into the waves flanked by arrogance, haughtiness and false power.’
- ‘‘Serves you right,’ Leigh said, with mock haughtiness.’
- ‘His crushing critiques, if not born of arrogance, have at times been delivered with a haughtiness that practically swaggers across the page or the airwaves.’
- ‘There's something so extraordinary about the pride, the haughtiness, the explicit sensuality of flamenco which is so unBritish.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.