One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The appearance or quality of being arrogantly superior and disdainful.‘her air of haughtiness’
arrogance, pride, conceit, hubris, self-importance, egotism, sense of superiority, pomposity, high-handedness, swagger, boasting, bumptiousness, bluster, condescension, disdain, contempt, imperiousnessView synonyms
- ‘His crushing critiques, if not born of arrogance, have at times been delivered with a haughtiness that practically swaggers across the page or the airwaves.’
- ‘She sails into the waves flanked by arrogance, haughtiness and false power.’
- ‘There's something so extraordinary about the pride, the haughtiness, the explicit sensuality of flamenco which is so unBritish.’
- ‘They perceive haughtiness, arrogance and all sorts of faults in people who are really totally indistinguishable from themselves.’
- ‘‘Serves you right,’ Leigh said, with mock haughtiness.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.