One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A young animal that has recently emerged from its egg.
- ‘Males in two species are known to guard egg clutches and carry hatchlings on their backs.’
- ‘More than 30 eggs and 15 nests were rescued on Tuesday, and 35 hatchlings and juvenile birds were put on incubators.’
- ‘They lay their eggs in July and feed their new hatchlings fresh nuts beginning in August.’
- ‘The presence of remnant yolk sacs was a good indication that these were indeed hatchlings emerging from their nests.’
- ‘This hatchling is just one of hundreds of its kind that have been incubated and raised in captivity for release into North America's wetlands.’
- ‘After cradling the hatchling in her fleece-gloved hands, Patterson measures the length of its bill, then carefully slips the chick into a mesh bag to weigh it.’
- ‘To protect eggs and hatchlings from predators, volunteers and staff search for nests and collect eggs for incubation.’
- ‘Turtle hatchlings normally emerge in the evening hours only and move towards the sea under the cover of darkness.’
- ‘Green Sea Turtles as hatchlings weigh about an ounce and have a carapace length of 2 inches.’
- ‘Fire ants feed on almost any plant or animal material, including vulnerable reptile and ground-bird hatchlings.’
- ‘Predators of eggs and hatchlings include small mammals, birds, and other reptiles.’
- ‘Large-yolked eggs carry more lipid energy and may result in larger hatchlings or hatchlings with larger residual yolk reserves.’
- ‘The clutch of one mother failed to produce hatchlings, thus yielding a data set of 22 viable clutches.’
- ‘See how a mother alligator protects her newborn hatchlings in her otherwise deadly jaws, and learn what dangers the babies face in the wild.’
- ‘There are many obstacles for turtle hatchlings, such as crabs, birds and many other predators in the ocean.’
- ‘Eggs and hatchlings are predated by members of every class of vertebrates and numerous invertebrates.’
- ‘It has also been estimated that feral dogs predate nearly 70 per cent of the eggs and hatchlings of the sea turtles in these islands.’
- ‘Increased illumination in the night too would disorient turtles and hatchlings and prevent them from finding their way to the sea after they hatch.’
- ‘When the babies hatch, they are the size of a grain of rice. New hatchlings are planktonic for six to nine weeks.’
- ‘When turtle hatchlings emerge at night from their eggs and head for the ocean, lights from hotels and other sources can lead them off course.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.