One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A deep-bodied laterally compressed tropical freshwater fish of the New World. It is able to fly short distances above the surface of the water by beating its broad pectoral fins.
- ‘The Common or Silver Hatchetfish is a deep bodied fish with a 'hatchet' type shape to it.’
- ‘Midwater species, such as lanternfishes, hatchetfishes and dragonfishes have rows of lights along the underside of the body, probably for mating and identification as well as foraging.’
- ‘A night dive here revealed night shrimp, hatchetfish, cardinalfish and a Spanish lobster.’
- ‘Resident giant grouper, turtles and schools of hatchetfish reside below the jetty.’
- ‘Sleeperfish and hatchetfish, which prefer the shade, hung out in small schools.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.